Not useful

To quote what I put in the template, "What is the point of linking to the topic if you don't actually link to the topic on the archive itself? This will just confuse users. In addition, I think all of the Wiki contributors know that links that use the old format are to the old forums."
jvvg (talk | contribs) 19:04, 14 June 2014 (UTC)

Indeed. Instead, we should make a template for the links themselves. It should take the following as arguments: topic id, page number, optional post id. Then use a bot to replace all of the existing /forums/ links with the template. That will make it much easier to change all of the links at once, for example to point to different mirrors when they appear or disappear.
blob8108 (talk | contribs) 20:12, 14 June 2014 (UTC)
I agree.
Swampert11 (talk | contribs) 22:33, 14 June 2014 (UTC)
I have now changed my template.
Swampert11 (talk | contribs) 23:47, 14 June 2014 (UTC)
Dibs on making the bot program! :D
Mathfreak231 (talk | contribs) 15:51, 15 June 2014 (UTC)
Mathfreak, did you finish running the bot? Particularly, It'd be really useful if you could replace all of the ?pid= links -- it'll make the archives easier to host. My archive will probably disappear next month, so it'd be awesome if you could do it before then. :)
blob8108 (talk | contribs) 14:29, 30 June 2014 (UTC)
Yes, I did all the non-redirect ones, and I'm working on the redirecting ones. It sends an HTTP request just to find out where the redirect leads. Clever, huh? :3
Mathfreak231 (talk | contribs) 22:36, 1 July 2014 (UTC)
Yay, thanks! Clever indeed. Let me know when you're done :)
blob8108 (talk | contribs) 23:01, 1 July 2014 (UTC)
Okay, it's done with any scratch.mit.edu links, now it's doing the few archive.scratch.mit.edu links.
Mathfreak231 (talk | contribs) 23:03, 1 July 2014 (UTC)

Adding an anchor link seems to break formatting

I'm just gonna let TIaA keep editing while I raise an issue: It seems that when the "p" argument is added to the template, it breaks formatting because it doesn't think the # and anything past it is a link. I added nowiki tags to help retain formatting a little, but the main issue isn't fixed.
Mathfreak231 (talk | contribs) 22:53, 1 July 2014 (UTC)