(Redirected from Signatures)
|This article has links to websites or programs not trusted by Scratch or hosted by Wikipedia. Remember to stay safe while using the internet, as we cannot guarantee the safety of other websites.|
- This article is about signatures on the forums. For custom signatures on the Scratch Wiki, see Scratch Wiki:Custom Signatures.
A signature (often shortened to "sig" or "siggy") is a feature on the Discussion Forums which allows a Scratcher to have a certain piece of text (often marked up with BBCode), and even images, appear automatically below each of their forum posts.
Creating/Changing a Signature
To create a signature, scroll down to the bottom of the home discussion (forum) page and click the "Change your signature" link. There, you will be brought to a webpage in which your signature can be edited in the provided text box. See the example content section for some ideas or inspiration.
New users often mistake signatures as text actually typed at the end of each post; they might add their signatures manually, usually separated by a line of underscores to look like the official signatures.
There are a number of restrictions on forum signatures:
- Images cannot exceed 150px in height, as taller images get cut off.
- The signature must not exceed 2,000 characters.
- They must follow the Community Guidelines.
- All restrictions for New Scratchers still apply (this includes not being able to upload images).
Signatures may, however, contain BBCode markup, including images and links.
- Facts about the scratcher who created the signature
- A favorite quote
- A banner (one can ask for a custom banner on the Requests forum or make it themselves)
- An advertisement for a project
- A "navigation bar" signature with links to the user's profile page, recent project, wiki talk page, etc.
- Very funny pictures or memes
- Scratchblocks are commonly used in signatures
Scratchers have been extremely creative with their signatures. Some interesting uses are:
- "Project pick of the week" — signatures which advertise a project each week
- Adding hidden text under the signature that can only be seen by a device formatted for it, by using Inspect Element, or selecting text and dragging down.
- Some trend activities, especially Evil Kumquats
Some examples of signature content that no longer work include:
- PHP-image based signatures which use PHP APIs to display up-to-date statistics. These are no longer possible because of restricted image hosting and abuse.
- Adding internet counters from http://internetometer.com/ - likewise disabled by image host restrictions.
A signature when signing on a talk page can be made with 4 tildes (~~~~). This shows the user's avatar, username, date, and a link to their user talk page and contributions.
The creation of, usage of, and restrictions on custom Wiki signatures are documented at Scratch Wiki:Custom Signatures.
- ↑ post:1981860[dead link]
- ↑ JSO. (27/5/2011). "Signatures are now automatically cut off when they exceed the 150 pixels height limit." ar-topic:64276