|This article or section needs additional citations for verification. Its information may not be accurate. Editors can help by adding references. (December 2021)|
- "Emoji" redirects here. For Unicode character set, see Character (computing)#Emojis.
Scratch Emojis are a feature which allows one to comment an emoji on a studio, project, or profile. Emojis cannot be used in project descriptions. To create an emoji, one must type in the keyword for the desired emoji.
These emojis were individually added at different points in time.
In late summer 2011, users began to discover that the text "_meow_" in a comment would be replaced by an icon of the Scratch Cat's head with the alternate text of "Meow!". It became quite popular.
_gobo_ and _waffle_
|This article or section documents something not included in the current version of Scratch (3.0). It is only useful from a historical perspective.|
On April Fools' Day of 2014, a new emoticon was discovered. It possibly references the Semicolon Glitch, although it was later removed. All instances of the icon were replaced with just the semicolon text character (;) after April Fools.
This emoticon returned 2 years later in the April Fools' Day of 2016 with the new "confetti effect".
_taco_, _eggplant_, _sushi_, _apple_, _broccoli_, and _pizza_
On April Fools' Day of 2015, 6 emoticons were revealed and represented food since the theme was "Edible Scratch". Unlike 2014, the new emoticons were kept and can still be used. In February 2018, the _eggplant_ emoji was removed because of its inappropriate usage outside Scratch.
This emoticon was added on February 23, 2016, in celebration of 10 million registered users. When hovering over the emoticon, confetti used to burst out over the page, though the process couldn't be repeated until the effect had finished. It was designed by Scratch Team member designerd and the confetti effect was implemented by raimondious.projects:98949698/#comments-55561395 However, the effect is no longer available. Occasionally, the emoji will glitch and 'break' the page. When it was introduced, there was a typo in the code which caused it to not work again for a while after each time it ran for some users. The confetti effect is now discontinued.
_map_, _suitcase_, _camera_, _compass_, and _binoculars_
These emoticons were added on April 1st, 2016, to go with the April Fools theme for 2016. Similar to the food emoticons, these are not removed.
On April Fools' Day of 2017, a new emoji was discovered, showing the Illuminati symbol. After April Fools' Day, any use of the emoji would be replaced with the text "triangle eye". It was reinstated for the duration of April Fool's Days in 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021, and subsequently once more became "triangle eye" afterwards.
According to Scratch Team member thisandagain, the emoji name ksllxmfcai does not mean anything, it was just "smashing the keyboard". However, it was later discovered that 'ksllxmfcai' was 'illuminati' encoded using the Vigenere cipher with the key 'charles'.
10 year anniversary emojis
_pride_ and _blm_
List of Emojis
Emojis on the Forums
List of Forum Emojis
|Note:||For emojis that include a letter, such as :P or :o, capitalization matters. For example, :P would become , but :p would not.|
|Note:||Emojis will not appear if they are between tags. For example, [b]:P[/b] would become :P whereas it wouldn't if it wasn't in between tags.|
|Note:||Emojis with an equals sign instead of a : (such as ) works, except for , which was not added due to a design flaw in DjangoBB.|
Emojis on the Scratch Wiki
Emojis can be used on the Scratch Wiki. See Template:Emoji for how to use emojis on the Scratch Wiki.
- users:Paddle2See/#comments-21088429[dead link]
- users:-Radical-/#comments-21028774[dead link]
- users:Paddle2See#comments-47065630[dead link]
- Za-Chary. (26/6/2019). "The eggplant emoji is frequently used for inappropriate comments outside of Scratch." post:3683233
- users:Paddle2see/#comments-20299052[dead link]
- users:VFDan/#comments-7488620[dead link]
- WolfCat67. (3/4/2017). "Holy, it brings up “triangle eye” when I put it on the comments." post:2538931
- users:thisandagain/#comments-48208923[dead link]
- MEGALODONCODING. (13/7/2020). "Decode it on a Vigenere cipher with the key “Charles”." post:4217394
- users:Paddle2See/#comments-33770453[dead link]
- ScratchCat. (18/6/2021). "We are excited to share two new emojis with you for Black Lives Matter and Pride!" topic:522617
- purplebook163. (26/9/2015). "You can however use BBCode to create an image of the emoji." post:1444570
- fdreerf. (1/12/2020). "The DjangoBB forgot to implement “=P”" post:4650640