|This article has links to websites or programs not trusted by Scratch or hosted by Wikipedia. Remember to stay safe while using the internet, as we cannot guarantee the safety of other websites.|
|This article or section documents something not included in the current version of Scratch (3.0). It is only useful from a historical perspective.|
Unlike the Scratch website, there was no community feature. Instead, projects could be shared elsewhere as .sbx files. ScratchX did not require an account. However, Scratchers could discuss ScratchX and Scratch extensions on the Developing Scratch Extensions forum available in the ScratchX footer.
Upon the release of Scratch 3.0, further work on ScratchX had been cancelled. ScratchX is now discontinued and was replaced by Scratch Lab, which was released on February 2, 2021. Work on the ScratchX project has stopped since the release of Scratch 3.0. 
There were three main ways ScratchX could be used.
- Developers could share their Scratch extension through a .sbx file. These could be loaded into ScratchX via the "Open an Extension Project" button located on the ScratchX homepage.
- Developers also had the choice to directly link to their extension or project using a URL in the form of
http://scratchx.org/?url=<URL of extension/project>
- If a link or a file was unavailable, example extensions were available on the ScratchX Gallery page.
It was not possible to open a project with experimental extensions from the ScratchX site in Scratch 2.0 or the offline editor because the extensions were not supported by the Scratch Team. Alternatively, sbx files may have been sent peer-to-peer to be used in other copies of ScratchX.
Developers could submit their extensions to be highlighted on ScratchX by emailing them.
The requirements to be featured in the ScratchX library were:
- Easy to use
- Requirements (browsers, operating system, hardware, etc)
- Appropriate for all ages
- Must not contain copyrighted content used without permission
Scratch Team released a new extension testing platform for use in Scratch 3.