(Redirected from Profile Picture)
- "Icon" redirects here. For the Scratch logo, see Scratch Logo.
A user icon (also known as a logo, profile picture, or avatar) is an image on a user's profile. It is used to represent the user and can often identify the Scratcher. New accounts start out with the default Scratch cat icon created by Yickpoo, shown to the right. One can change their user icon on the Profile Page by hovering their mouse over the icon. If a user does decide to change their icon, it's dimensions must be 500 x 500 pixels or smaller.
The old default icon was not a cat, but a human silhouette. Once the user set a different user icon, it was impossible to change it unless they created another account or managed to import the default icon.
Get a User Icon
One can get a user icon in one of many ways. These include:
- Making your own in a photo manipulation program, such as MS Paint, GIMP, Paint.NET, Photoshop, or even the Scratch Paint Editor.
- Finding an icon on the internet.
- Requesting one in the Requests forum.
- Using a picture already on your computer such as ones you have scanned or example pictures, or even photographs loaded onto your computer.
- Some Scratchers take requests for icons.
- Using a icon from someone else's profile
|Warning:||As of October 2021, profile pictures of your face are not allowed and will be removed.|
|Warning:||Do not use an inappropriate image as your profile picture; you may get an alert.|
|Note:||When using icons which you did not create, give credit to the original creator if possible.|
Set a User Icon
To set a user icon, you must:
- Go to your profile page.
- Hover your mouse over your current user icon.
- When you hover over your picture, you will see the word "Change" in the upper left-hand corner.
- You will be led to your computer's file browser when you click "Change".
- Find and select the picture you want.
- Click "Open" and you are done!
There are some restrictions on what can be uploaded. They are:
- Must be a bitmap file format
- Cannot be larger than 512 kilobytes (KB)
- Must not have a resolution of more than 500x500 pixels
- Main article: Animated GIF
Animated GIFs are GIF files that have more than one frame, and can thus contain animation. Once users realized they could set these as their icons, they became very popular. One can make GIF files in many of the aforementioned paint programs, as well as Pivot Stickfigure and Stykz. In the Requests forum, some users run "shops" where they give people animated GIFs for icons. Unlike projects, the animated icons can be shown on the Front Page; however, no one can see user icons on the Front Page, unless they've logged in themselves with an account icon animated.
To make your profile picture an animated GIF, save a GIF on your device, and follow the same steps you usually do to change your icon.
In early 2017, along with the thumbnail bug, a bug was reported that animated user icons uploaded were static (unanimated). The bug was fixed later on.
User icons can be seen throughout the Scratch Website. Specifically, they can be found:
- At a user's profile
- Alongside every comment made by a user
- Next to every forum post by that user (this location presents the largest size and best quality)
- In the What's Happening? box
- On the 'Messages' page, when a user has left a comment
- Next to the user's name on a project
While few, each of those items can be seen many times.
- ↑ projects:779744
- ↑ andresmh. (30/11/2009). "We have replaced the previous default avatar with a new one created by Yickpoo" ar-topic:26628
- ↑ cheddargirl. (30/10/2021). "Due to some changes regarding legal issues, we're staring to remove them (unless it's stylized like griffpatch's pfp, or if the pfp is a known sanctioned photo of a famous person)." post:5740188