(Redirected from Play Sound () (block))
|Start Sound ()|
start sound ( v)
The Start Sound () block is a sound block and a stack block. The block plays the specified sound and continues executing the script (unlike the Play Sound () Until Done block, which will pause its script until the sound has finished playing).
Prior to the release of Scratch 3.0, this block was titled "play sound ()".
As this block plays a sound without a delay in its script, it is mainly used when a sound must be played while continuing the script.
Some common uses for the Start Sound () block:
- Playing a sound effect with an action
when green flag clicked start sound (meow v) say [Hello!] for (1) seconds start sound (meow v) say [Bye!] for (1) seconds
- If a sprite has achieved a goal, a sound effect is played
when green flag clicked forever move (10) steps if <touching [edge v]?> then start sound (Victory v) end if on edge, bounce end
- Enhancing an event
when green flag clicked forever if <touching [snowball v]?> then start sound [collide v] wait until < not < touching [snowball v]? > > end end
- Main article: List of Block Workarounds
This block can be replicated by playing the sound with the play sound () until done block, but allowing the script to continue by starting it via broadcasts:
. . . broadcast (continue script v) play sound (meow v) until done when I receive [continue script v] . . .
- If a sound is playing and the same sound is played again, the sound will be cut off, but will play from the start again.
- This does not happen if a different sound is played when a sound is currently playing.