(Redirected from New TBGers)
|This article or section needs additional citations for verification. Its information may not be accurate. Editors can help by adding references. (March 2020)|
- "New Scratchers" redirects here. For the forum named New Scratchers, see New Scratchers (forum).
The New Scratcher status was put into action in order to stop spam and troll attacks that had been attacking the Scratch Forums in June 2010. Originally, images were disabled to stop attacks, because that was what the attacks primarily contained, but many users argued and the New Scratcher status was put into action. The New Scratcher status gave many limitations that the Community Moderators and Scratch Team did not believe spammers and trolls would bother working around.
MyRedNeptune, a Community Moderator, jokingly said New Scratchers are manually upgraded to Scratcher status if they are "nice and cute and don't flame too much." In the actual procedure, however; users are automatically selected if they meet certain requirements, at which point they receive a notification with a button to become a Scratcher.
Users must be active on the main site to gain Scratcher status. To be promoted, a New Scratcher must be active to some degree about the site, have shared, loved, and favourited multiple projects and made several comments, along with other requirements. After at least 2 weeks, but usually around 1 month, they are notified to become a Scratcher through an alert in their messages. When they accept a notification, as an invitation to become a Scratcher on their profile page, they get the Scratcher status.
New Scratcher Restrictions
- Cannot post images on the Discussion Forums
- Cannot post clickable links on the Discussion Forums (unless they are to pages on the Scratch Website)
- Have the 120 second rule, rather than the 60 second rule, on the Discussion Forums
- Cannot use cloud data
- Have to wait 30 seconds between comments (details)
- Cannot edit posts after leaving the page in the forums 
These restrictions were applied to reduce spam and troll attacks.
Requirements for becoming a Scratcher
To become a Scratcher, a New Scratcher must:
- Have a verified email address.
- Have 2+ shared projects.
- Have been on Scratch for a certain amount of time (at least 2 weeks, but usually 1 month).
- Be active on the website. This is a big part of becoming a Scratcher. Sharing projects regularly can be a way.
- Have comments and/or forum posts. (This is not necessary, but it does help.)
|This article or section documents something not included in the current version of Scratch (3.0). It is only useful from a historical perspective.|
Likewise, if a user had joined the Text Based Games Forums for the first time, they would have obtained New TBGer status. They became TBGers in the same way, although status in the Scratch Forums and in the Text Based Games Forums were not directly related. New TBGers could not edit or delete their posts, however.
- Main article: Welcoming Committee
In late 2012, the Welcoming Committee was created to help welcome new Scratchers. When a user registers, they'll see a link to a random welcoming committee project on their My Stuff page. This is shown until they upload their first project. The new user is expected to ask questions they may have in the comments on the project.