|This article has links to websites or programs not trusted by Scratch or hosted by Wikipedia. Remember to stay safe while using the internet, as we cannot guarantee the safety of other websites.|
- "New Scratchers" redirects here. For the forum named New Scratchers, see New Scratchers (forum).
The New Scratcher status was put into action in order to stop spam and troll attacks that had been attacking the Scratch Forums in June 2010. Originally, images were disabled to stop attacks, because that was what the attacks primarily contained, but many users argued and the New Scratcher status was put into action. The New Scratcher status gave many limitations that the Community Moderators and Scratch Team did not believe spammers and trolls would bother working around.
MyRedNeptune, a Community Moderator, jokingly said New Scratchers are manually upgraded to Scratcher status if they are "nice and cute and don't flame too much." In the actual procedure, however; users are automatically selected if they meet certain requirements, at which point they receive a notification with a button to become a Scratcher.
Users must be active on the main site to gain Scratcher status. To be promoted, a New Scratcher must be active to some degree about the site, have shared, loved, and favourited multiple projects and made several comments, along with other requirements. After at least 2 weeks, but usually around 1 month, they are notified to become a Scratcher through an alert in their messages. When they accept a notification, as an invitation to become a Scratcher on their profile page, they get the Scratcher status. They also have a link to become a Scratcher on the top of their profile page, next to the "New Scratcher" status.
New Scratcher Restrictions
- Cannot post images on the Discussion Forums
- Cannot post clickable links on the Discussion Forums (unless they are to pages on the Scratch Website)
- Have the 120 second rule, rather than the 60 second rule, on the Discussion Forums
- Cannot close topics via the Close topic button
- Cannot use cloud data
- Have to wait 30 seconds between comments, in contrast with the usual 2 seconds (details)
- Do not have an edit button after leaving the page in the forums
- Cannot create or host studios (since the July 2021 studio overhaul)
These restrictions were applied to reduce spam and troll attacks.
Requirements for becoming a Scratcher
To become a Scratcher, a New Scratcher must:
- Have a verified email address
- Share projects
- Comment helpfully on others' projects
- Have been on Scratch for enough time (usually about 2 weeks)
- Be active on the website. This is a big part of becoming a Scratcher. Sharing projects regularly can be a way.
This also is not a definitive list; that is, having these does not guarantee one will become a Scratcher in any specific timeframe, as the exact requirements are not made public, but generally being active on the website will eventually result in becoming a Scratcher. Receiving alerts may also lengthen the time it takes to become a Scratcher.
|This article or section documents something not included in the current version of Scratch (3.0). It is only useful from a historical perspective.|
Likewise, if a user had joined the Text Based Games Forums for the first time, they would have obtained New TBGer status. They became TBGers in the same way, although status in the Scratch Forums and in the Text Based Games Forums were not directly related. New TBGers could not edit or delete their posts, however.
- Main article: Welcoming Committee
In late 2012, the Welcoming Committee was created to help welcome new Scratchers. When a user registers, they'll see a link to a random welcoming committee project on their My Stuff page. This is shown until they upload their first project. The new user is expected to ask questions they may have in the comments on the project.
- Lightnin. (10/6/2010). "Because of spam / troll attacks, we've been forced to disable the embedding of images in forum posts for now." ar-topic:37679
- Death_Wish. (4/1/2012). "Then came quite a big wave of trolls posting images of very inappropriate stuff... Since then, the ST decided to put this rank, making people not be able to link, post images, etc." ar-topic:72486
- MyRedNeptune. (16/6/2010). "2) They are upgraded manually if they are nice and cute and don't flame too much. :3" ar-post:420925
- jvvg. (1/6/2013). 'An explanation of the "New Scratcher" status[title]' topic:6986
- studios:28715018 "To propose a project... - You must be a Scratcher (if you are a New Scratcher, wait until you become a Scratcher)"
- Paddle2See. (12/01/2023). "It takes at least a couple of weeks [to become a Scratcher] but it can take longer if you have gotten any warnings." post:6893742