Many Scratchers use abbreviations for their projects instead instead of typing the whole word or phrase. Doing this is easier than typing the whole thing. Below is a list of some common abbreviations used on the Scratch Website.
- AC: Art Contest; (An art competition in which multiple Scratchers create art for a chance to win the art contest).
- ACC: Account; (a user's account).
- AMV: Animated Music Video; (an animation to go with a song, such as a Music Video on YouTube).
- AR: Art Request; (when a Scratcher asks another Scratcher to draw them art).
- Art Trade (when one trades art with another Scratcher if the person agrees).
- It also stands for the Advanced Topics forum.
- BaG: Bugs and Glitches; (the discussion forum titled 'Bugs and Glitches').
- BRB: Be right back; (used when a Scratcher has to leave for a short amount of time).
- BTW: By the way; used to introduce a topic that is unrelated to the current topic being discussed.
- Coloring Contest; (it is when a Scratcher makes a project with line-art in it, then Scratchers remix the project and color the line-art in. They compete against each other to make the best drawing).
- It also stands for Creative Commons, (the organization that constructs the license under which most of Scratch's user-generated content is governed).
- CCE: Coloring Contest Entry; (an entry for a coloring contest).
- DMC: Draw My Character; (an art contest in which the host provides Scratchers with a character that they have drawn. Participants have to draw that character).
- DMCE: Draw My Character Entry; (an entry for a DMC contest).
- DTIYS: Draw This In Your Style; (an art contest, similar to a DMC, where the host draws a picture and participants have to draw it in their style).
- DTIYSE: Draw This In Your Style Entry; (an entry for a DTIYS contest).
- F4F: Follow for Follow; (when a Scratcher ask to follow someone, in return a follow from them. Some scratchers disapprove of this practice).
- FOR: Follow on request; when a user asks someone to follow him/her.
- FPC: Front Page Curator; (someone who puts projects on the front page for a week).
- FPCA: Front Page Curator Application; an application to be an FPC. Once the application has been shared, the Scratcher must add it to the Front Page Curator Applications studio.
- FPCAH: Front Page Curator Application Help; (the studio in which Scratchers applying to be FPC can get help with making their application better).
- GTG: Got to go; (used when a Scratcher has got to leave for any reason).
- IRL: In real life; (as in not on the internet or on Scratch).
- LLK: Lifelong Kindergarten
- LTL: Lyrics Taken Literally; (when a Scratcher creates a project with backdrops/sprites showing what music lyrics look like literally).
- MAP: Multiple Animator Project;( they are collaborative projects by many Scratchers that each contribute a brief animation to the project).
- MNP: (Multi Noteblocker Project; a collaborative project utilizing the Music extension by more than one Scratcher who each contribute a section of musical code to a finished product).
- PFP: Profile Picture
- PMV: Picture Music Video; an AMV but with only art and minimal animation.
- QaS: Questions about Scratch; the discussion forum titled 'Questions about Scratch'.
- QnA: Questions and Answers; Scratchers ask questions about the host and the host answers some of those questions.
- SDS: Scratch Design Studio; a studio that has a different theme every so often.
- ST: Scratch Team; the group of people who run and moderate the website.
- SWC: Scratch Welcoming Committee; a studio in which New Scratchers can introduce themselves and get to know Scratch.
- SWE: Scratch Wiki Editors is a user group full of contributors in charge of editing the wiki.
- TIMAC: Things I'm Making and Creating; the discussion forum titled 'Things I'm Making and Creating'
- TIRAP: Things I'm Reading and Playing; the discussion forum titled 'Things I'm Reading and Creating
- VAO: Voice Acting Order; when one asks for someone to voice act for their project. People can order stuff from shops on the Requests Forum and ask for VAOs.
- Voice Acting Request; similar to VAO.
- variables for short.
- WIP: Work in Progress, also known as a draft; it is used when a Scratcher creates a project and shares it without it being completely done.
- WIWO: What I'm Working On; a common abbreviation used by Scratchers in the What I'm Working On section of their profile.
- Multiple Animator Project
- Music Projects
- Scratch Team
- Front Page Curator
- Scratch Design Studio
- Scratch Welcoming Committee
- Forum Terminology