This is a list of workarounds to issues found by Scratchers.
- 1 Fixing Common Problems in Scratch
- 2 Browser Operating System
- 3 Editor Blocks
- 4 Extensions : LEGO WeDo and PicoBoard
- 5 Offline Editor
Fixing Common Problems in Scratch
Here are some of the common ways to fix an issue on Scratch
- Clear the browser cache: A lot of website issues can be fixed by clearing the cache.
- Refresh the browser: Make sure that projects are saved before a refresh or work will be lost.
- Update flash version and browser version.
Script does not work
- Make sure the blocks are still all attached (try dragging by the top block to test): Right click the script panel and select cleanup. Usually, this will show which blocks are unattached.
- See if the script is in the sprite you want to respond
- if clicking the green flag to start, make sure you have a
when gf clicked
Sprite Does Not Show on the Stage
show go to x: (0) y: (0)
Browser Operating System
Unsupported Browser Banner
If the browser currently has an unsupported browser banner, then you will need to upgrade your browser to Internet Explorer 9 or above, Firefox 31 or above, Chrome 35 or above and Safari 8 or above
Internet Explorer 8, Windows XP
Currently, projects cannot be saved on Internet Explorer 8. Projects can still be downloaded and saved locally on the computer. An alternative to Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP is Chrome or Firefox.
Export List with Slash in the Name
There is an issue where lists with slashes in their name cannot be exported,
(/LIST::list). The workaround is to copy/backup the contents of
(/LIST::list) to another
(NEW LIST::list) and export
(NEW LIST::list). Currently, a list cannot be renamed.
Adobe Flash Security Dialog Cannot be Dismissed
On some operating systems, the Adobe security dialog cannot be dismissed for blocks that require video or microphone. A workaround is to go to the Adobe Settings Manger and select "never ask for permission" for cdn.scratch.mit.edu.
Extensions : LEGO WeDo and PicoBoard
LEGO WeDo with Online Editor MAC OS X
WeDo will not work if a new project is created via File/New in the online editor. The workaround is to refresh the browser page.
LEGO WeDo with offline editor
WeDo extension blocks will not work in the offline editor and the status light will remain green if the WeDo was disconnected and connected again. The workaround is to restart the offline editor.
Picoboard and Wedo Black Indicator Light
Wedo and Picoboard indicator light turns black after you click the presentation mode button. You will need to restart the offline editor to connect with Wedo
Picoboard and Wedo Both Connected on the Same Machine
Currently, there is an issue when Picoboard and Wedo are connected on the same machine. Wedo will disconnect.
Editor Install Not Updating
If you find the editor install not working, try the following:
- Uninstall offline editor
- Uninstall Air
- Reboot (does not hurt)
- Install Air and offline editor again https://scratch.mit.edu/scratch2download/
Scratch 1.4 Ubuntu Download
The download link for Ubuntu Scratch 1.4 on the Scratch website is not working. A download is available at Ubuntu Scratch 1.4
Exiting While Project Is Unsaved
Currently, there is an issue where the offline editor does not exit if the project is not saved prior to the exit. The workaround is to save the project under menu File/Save and then exit the program