(Redirected from Length of () (block))
- "Length of () (block)" and "Length of ()" redirect here. For the List block, see Length of () (List block).
|Length of ()|
length of ()
In certain projects, different events can happen based on the length of a value; this block is used to help.
Some common uses for the Length of () block include:
- Checking the length of a name
ask [What's your name?] and wait say (join (answer) (length of (answer))) for (2) secs
- Checking how many digits there are in a player's score
forever say (length of (score1))
- Chatbots, in which different messages can occur depending on the length of the message that was inputted
if <(length of (answer)) < (10)> then say [Hi!] else say [Bye!] end
- Main article: List of Block Workarounds
This block can be replicated with the following code:
define length of (string) //run without screen refresh set [length v] to  repeat until <(letter ((length) + (1)) of (string)) = > change [length v] by (1) end
define length of (string) //run without screen refresh set [repcount v] to (0) delete all of [results v] repeat until <(letter ((repcount) + (1)) of (string)) = > add (letter ((repcount) + (1)) of (string)) to [results v] change [repcount v] by (1) end set [length v] to (length of [results v])