|This article or section documents something not included in the current version of Scratch (3.0). It is only useful from a historical perspective.|
It had over 350 blocks in total, but when Scratch moved to the 2.0 site, the web-based Scratch 2.0 made them all useless. Currently there is no replacement thread.
The original topic was started by the Scratcher Sparks on July 15, 2010. Sparks created the Library because there were many topics about posting new blocks, and he thought it would be really nice if they were all together with a nice layout. For this, he created the Library. When it started, the Library was empty, though over time, many blocks were shared and added.
The Block Library was doing well until Sparks started having too much outside work to do updates. To combat this, SSBBM suggested that a new account be created, which multiple people had access to. Sparks agreed, and created the account YourLocalBlockLib, and chose the following five people to be "moderators," for the following reasons:
|“||High levels of support to the library he's contributed an impressive 29% of all the BYOB blocks in the library making him top BYOB contributor. It was his idea to allow moderators onto the site and many of the features you see on it are his brain children too!||”|
|“||His high standards for grammar, spelling and continuity have kept me in check and greatly reduced the number of mistakes in the library, his dedicated attention to detail is just what the Library needs!||”|
|“||Always chastising me for missing things out, his scrupulous attention to detail and a wonderful sense of fairness and equality will help keep the Library a friendly place.||”|
|“||He's been with us for quite a while now and has shared 24% of all the Scratch blocks in the library making him top Scratch block contributor! He has the dedication and excitement for the library to make a great moderator. He is likely to promote the task of moving all the blocks to a different webhost than imageshack so that everyone can see them!||”|
|“||The creator of the enormously helpful downloadable blocks addition to the BYOB section, he has put a huge amount of work into turning the script images into downloadable BYOB sprites and I'm sure his continued involvement in the Library will take us to new heights.||”|
On September 15th, 2011, TheSuccessor quit as a Librarian, saying that he did not have the time anymore to help out. Greenatic took his place as Librarian.
The Block Library sometimes did holiday logos, with a contest to decide which entry would be featured. In the past it has done a Christmas logo won by Pecola1 and a 1st year anniversary logo won by RUMCHEERYPOOPOO.
Unlike many other forum topics, The Block Library contained separate posts that linked together. The Block Library had the following pages:
- Scratch Blocks
- BYOB Blocks
- Panther Blocks
- Requested Blocks
- Updates Archive
- Block Queue
Adding a New Block to the Library
All blocks in the Library were user-submitted. Any user could submit a block, for Scratch, Panther, or BYOB. To submit a Scratch block, the user gave the block specification and method code. The same went for Panther blocks, though the syntax was slightly different. To submit a BYOB block, the user needed to provide an image of the scripts, and optionally a download. For all platforms, images of the blocks were preferred, but not required.
- sparks. (6/5/2011). "I felt that if these blocks could all be collected and ordered into one place with a nice layout and structure this would benefit everyone!" ar-post:754201
- SSBBM. (8/3/2011). "Do you think we should move this topic to a new user?" ar-post:693326
- sparks. (10/3/2011). "I am going to appoint four moderators and that is it so here we are:" ar-post:694759
- TheSuccessor. (15/9/2011). "I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to resign from being a librarian." ar-post:919551
- sparks. (17/12/2010). "CHRISTMAS COMPETITION!" ar-post:624738
- sparks. (22/12/2010). "Pecola1 wins" ar-post:629505
- sparks. (27/6/2011). "A 1 year themed celebratory event certainly would be fun to do" ar-post:814396
- sparks. (15/7/2011). "RUMCHEERYPOOPOO! Congratulations!" ar-post:832889
- nXIII. (14/9/2010). 'What I did was post successive posts, get their links, then make a "table of contents" on the first post with links to all the other ones.' ar-post:543302