(Redirected from Featured Project)
- "Featured project" redirects here. For the featured project on a profile page, see Featured Project (profile page).projects featured by the Scratch Team are displayed. Featured Projects is the highest slot on the Front Page, and the projects that are featured usually reach great popularity.
Some users have suggested that there be a featured users section as well.
Why a Project Gets Featured
Featured projects are not normally chosen for being an advanced project — rather, what is looked for are projects that are unique and have an interesting touch.
In rare cases, a featured project is later unfeatured, mostly if the project was featured on accident or turns out to be a blatant copy of another project. The project would also be taken out if it is unshared.
As stated in the studio, the Scratch Team is looking for:
- Simple projects
- Complex projects
- Projects that show an innovative use of Scratch
- Projects that promote collaboration and remixing
- Projects by people who haven’t been on the front page a lot already
- Projects that show diversity in the Scratch Community, such as gender, age, culture, country, interests, and so on
- Projects that different kind of people would find enjoyable
- Projects that inspire
There are restrictions as well; one can not submit a project if it:
- Was created by you (the most commonly violated condition) or you are a New Scratcher
- Contains violence
- Contains language inappropriate for any age
- Is a copy of a commercial game or story; however, it is okay if it was inspired by it
- Does not work well online
- Breaks the Community Guidelines
The restrictions were originally changed after a user complained about them, but the Scratch Team later decided to remove the love-it limit, along with restrictions on proposing projects that were created by family members or already on the front page, altogether.
Controversial Featured Projects
- Interactive Katzenklavier — A music project which involves making cats meow at different pitches by pressing down keys. Shortly after it was featured, some users raised concern of implications of animal cruelty, due to the real concept of the Katzenklavier.
- Animated pride flag — A project which involved a simple animation of a rainbow flag meant to promote LGBT rights. It became unsurprisingly controversial, resulting in many homophobic comments and remixes, which were later removed. It even lead to people questioning whether or not the Scratch Team was making political stances on subjects. In response to the topic, the Scratch Team released a statement:
|“||We think it’s important to explain why we chose to feature a project supporting Pride Month, and why Scratch Team members sometimes share projects or icons related to LGBTQ+ issues. The Community Guidelines say, “Scratch welcomes people of all ages, races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, and gender identities.” We believe Scratch should be a space for people to express themselves and share what is important to their lives such as race, gender, religion, etc. We feel respectful comments, projects, and studios about LGBTQ+ are appropriate for the Scratch website. When someone shares their identity, or celebrates their friend’s identity, we want to support that. When someone shares something that is against another person’s identity, we see that as unfriendly and unwelcoming. As members of the Scratch community, Scratch Team members create and share projects about topics important to us, and for some of us, that includes sharing LGBTQ-related projects. And we hope this will inspire other Scratchers to create content about topics that are important to their lives.||”|
– ceebee, Scratch Team, 6/29/2017
- Snowflakes — This is a simple project where you click your mouse and it creates a snowflake. Scratchers have been arguing about whether or not the code was copied from a book on Scratch. This also led to many people saying that their project was copied and they should get featured.
- Superhero Elle!! — Superhero Elle!! is a simple project as well where the main goal is to customize the skin color, lip color, and hairstyle of "Superhero Elle". After clicking done the text "Now Elle is ready to fight crime!!" is shown along with Elle sweeping across the screen. The simple and very short gameplay have lead to others calling it low-effort.
- 無題 (Untitled) — This project functions as a Hex color code picker, using sliders to select a Hex color code. After it was featured, it was discovered to be extremely similar to COLORPICKER. Many Scratchers called for the project to be unfeatured for being an alleged Project Copy and not crediting the original project.
- 星辰之上 (Above the stars)[dead link] The project is a platformer made with pen. When it got featured, Scratchers noticed that it was extremely similar to (No Lag) Space adventure. The project was eventually unshared by the Scratch Team.
- Main article: Featured Studios
A Featured Studio is a studio that has been chosen by one of the Scratch Team members. They are shown in a section on the Front Page that displays the five most recently featured studios.
Unlike other sections on the front page, The Featured Studio section has no time limit. Scratch Team members add a studio whenever they find an interesting one.[outdated]
- Main article: Clutter
On the Clutter site, Clutters were featured. These were chosen entirely by an administrator, not suggested by the community.
- Front Page
- Featured Studios
- Projects Curated by ()
- Featured Project (profile page)
- How can I get my project featured?
- Propose Projects to be Featured
- NolanAwesome. (8/5/2014). “Featured users.[title]” topic:38198
- Paddle2See. (4/2/2017) "A project CANNOT be submitted if it… 1. was created by you. This means that you CANNOT submit your project." topic:245007
- Paddle2See. (30/4/2015). “Your suggestion has been accepted. We [changed feature requirements].” post:981480
- Medley7. (10/8/2015). “A lot of people think it represents animal abuse.” topic:141400
- -TheBlackParade-. (28/6/2017). “The Scratch Team Should Not Make Political Statements.[title]” topic:268245
- -BoyBust121-. (8/17/2017) ”Hey, I am sorry for thinking that you copied my project. If i get featured for a game that gets popular on the same day as this comment was posted, I will say I am really sorry for criticizing you Smartkmd. You did not deserve that criticism. You did say you used a coding book. I made a project and found out it was also in a book. I am very sorry." projects:168954677/#comments-80709597
- -theluigiduck2-. (12/9/2017) ""I spent a long time working on this", you say? I could do something like this in 15 minutes." projects:188820317/#comments-85962930
- littlebunny06. (7/18/2018) "Hi, I have realized that the newly featured project: projects:166671102 was (extremely probably) a copy of a not so well known scratch project. The title of the project was called "Untitled" in Japanese and the Instructions and notes and credits were similar to that of a copied project. I somehow managed to find the link of original project and saw that the scripts were all the same. projects:166671102 and yes... I reported it." users:Paddle2See/#comments-47304136
- miaml. (7/18/2018) "This should be Featured not that ripoff " projects:166671102/#comments-97253377