(Redirected from 3.0 Development)
- This article or section documents the current version of Scratch (version 3.0). For this article in Scratch 2.0, see Development of Scratch 2.0. For this article in Scratch 1.0, see Development of Scratch 1.0.
On May 17, 2016, the Scratch Team anounced a partnership with Google along with Scratch Blocks, a framework for the user interface of a graphical programming language that would be used in "the next generation of Scratch". (Scratch Blocks is based on Google's Blockly and includes a "horizontal grammar", using icons rather than text labels, very similar to that of ScratchJr.) The same day it was demonstrated at the Google I/O Youth conference, and both Scratch Blocks and Scratch VM, which would serve as the Scratch interpreter, were released as free software on GitHub. Design concepts were also included. Initially, many blocks were missing, but these were steadily re-added. From this point the Scratch Team reviewed and accepted contributions from the community.
In August of 2016, Scratch Render, which draws the stage and sprites, was released on GitHub. In September, the Scratch Team placed ready-to-use "playgrounds" for Scratch Blocks and Scratch VM on the internet. In October, Scratch Audio Engine was released. Around this time the sound effect blocks were added, including echo and reverb effects. Finally, in November, Scratch GUI, the Scratch program itself, was released on GitHub. In contrast to Scratch 2.0, the stage was placed on the right, as in Scratch 1.x. At this point, the scripting area was a deep blue, and the block palette was transparent. On September 30, designerd posted the first public concept sketch of Scratch GUI on GitHub.
In January of 2017 the background of the scripting area became a light gray, matching the concept sketch. In March, Data and More Blocks were removed from the block palette. The costumes pane and sounds pane were finally added in April, and Data was re-added about a week later, but without Logo-style indirection. On August 23,
< contains ?> was added. On the 28th, the list of block categories was moved to the side of the palette, similar to the experimental viewer. On September 27 the block palette was changed to allow one to scroll through all the categories.
Pen became an extension in October and the music blocks became an extension in November. More Blocks was added to the block palette in December and renamed to "My Blocks" little over a week later. A "give feedback" button,
set drag mode [ v], and
go to [ v] :: looks and
go [ v] () layers were added shortly after Christmas.
The preview of Scratch 3.0 let users take a better look at what Scratch 3 would bring. Early in January, a welcome screen was added to Scratch GUI, and the preview FAQ appeared about a week later. The preview was released at preview.scratch.mit.edu on January 18, 2018. The following changes were made, among others, during the preview:
- New sprites, backdrops, sounds, and costumes added to libraries
- New asset menu system including surprise sprite, backdrop, costume, and sound buttons and blank sprite and backdrop button
- New menu bar
- The video motion extension was added.
- The appearance of the editor was improved.
- Locally save and load SB3 files from your computer
- Minor changes to block names and colors
- Updates to the sprite/sound/costume tile design
- New library design and improved search
- Uploading sounds and costumes from file (svg, jpg, png, mp3, wav)
- Initial version of the "How-To" library with step-by-step tutorials and videos
- The Google Translate extension was added.
- Add a new menu item for "Choose a Sprite/Costume/Sound/Backdrop" to make the action menus more clear
- Add new "baseball"- and "spooky"-themed sprites and backdrops
- Updates to the How-To library
- New bitmap costumes and backdrops in the libraries
- Interface updates for the "How-Tos", now called "Tutorials", including style changes to the menu bar and cards
- Interface updates to the stage selector, making it more clear (blue) when it is the active target
- Extension block updates: new color (aqua) and new icons
- EV3 extension and micro:bit extension added
- Updates to the tutorials library
The beta of Scratch 3.0 was released on August 1, 2018 at beta.scratch.mit.edu, alongside the Scratch 3.0 Beta forum. Scratchers were encouraged to take a look at the beta and give their feedback to the Scratch Team in the forum. The beta marked the release of several extensions, and other prominent features in the editor.
- Main article: Scratch 3.0 Beta (forum)
The Scratch 3.0 Beta forum was created so that Scratchers using the beta of Scratch 3.0 could give their suggestions and ideas, as well as reporting any bugs they might find. The forum experienced a surge in activity when it was created. It was located at https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/57/ but has since been removed.
Examples of Bugs
- Miniatures of the Costumes Page not being scaled to the sprite size.
- Video being enabled by default in in the video sensing extension
- Fix for the bug where switching away from the code tab to the costumes or sounds tab could cause a crash
- Fix for unreachable costumes/sounds at the bottom of a long list
- Fix for sprite tiles disappearing after changing zoom level/resizing the window
- Fix for the bug where one was able to undo back to other sprites' code on the workspace after switching sprites
- Fix for the bug where sharing blocks multiple times could cause a crash
- Fix for the bug where sprites imported from Scratch 2.0 would not be in the correct layer order or sprite-selector order.
Final ReleaseScratch Website was put into Maintenance Mode starting at 7:00 AM EST. When one tried to access the Scratch Website during maintenance mode, a colourful screen would show, saying that "the new Scratch is almost here! Check back later today" with a link to the Scratch Team's Twitter Account saying "follow us for updates." In the early afternoon EST, the website was put back and Scratch 3.0 was officially released.
A design chart for the Move () steps block.
An old design chart for some horizontal blocks. There aren't any in the released version at https://llk.github.io/scratch-gui/
The comments for blocks.
- ceebee. (18/12/2018). "On January 2nd we are launching Scratch 3.0!" topic:325037
- technoboy10. (17/5/16). "Also, https://github.com/LLK/scratch-vm is a cool thing that people should take a look at." post:1989849
- joaoh1. (7/7/16). "(The Sensing Blocks PR got Merged)" post:2084844
- technoboy10. (8/8/16). "The renderer repo is now public on GitHub." post:2140074
- NickyNouse. (25/9/16). "They just added this: http://llk.github.io/scratch-vm/" post:2221483
- liam48D. (14/10/16). "https://github.com/LLK/scratch-audioengine" post:2248200
- chooper100. (26/10/16). "I'd like to point out a couple of blocks in the sound category" post:2264092
- NickyNouse. (9/11/16). "https://github.com/llk/scratch-gui" post:2284480
- _nix. (5/1/17). "Apparently the block palette is transparent," post:2379699
- chooper100. (27/1/17). "They removed the blue Scratch GUI background:" post:2418563
- NitroCipher. (21/3/17). "The Data (variables/lists) block and the Custom block categories are completely gone from the block palette." post:2514706
- Ed8. (17/4/17). "The tab are back again!" post:2565103
- Ed8. (24/4/17). "The data category has been added," post:2577383
- stickfiregames. (8/5/17). "I've just been reminded of it - what happened to these?" post:2603447
- Ceo_. (28/8/17). "They changed something" post:2801586
- Charles12310. (20/10/17). "Pen is now a Scratch extension:" post:2862587
- Sheep_maker. (9/12/17). "Custom blocks are now in /develop" post:2918993
- Charles12310. (22/12/17). "The block section that has custom blocks has been named “My Blocks”." post:2932043
- Sheep_maker. (27/12/17). "New “give feedback” button" post:2937667
- Ed8. (29/12/17). "New block!" post:2939737
- _nix. (29/12/17). "the layer blocks now let you select “forwards” (or “front”) instead of “backwards”/“back”:" post:2939753
- Sheep_maker. (3/1/18). "New “welcome to the Scratch 3.0 preview” image:" post:2946352
- Meowlit12. (11/1/18). "Preview FAQ now works" post:2955399
- thisandagain. (18/1/18). "We just updated the link for testing out the Scratch 3.0 Preview to https://preview.scratch.mit.edu" post:2963124
- _nix. (9/4/18). "The entire editor is looking quite a lot bluer now!" post:3059404
- Darkslam. (12/8/2018). "i prefer the old version" topic:311702 [dead link]
- ProGramure. (12/8/2018). "Dont change 2.0 please :( I dont want 3.0 2.0 is easier to use[title]" topic:311704 [dead link]
Development • Scratch 3.0