(Redirected from 2020)
|This article has links to websites or programs not trusted by Scratch or hosted by Wikipedia. Remember to stay safe while using the internet, as we cannot guarantee the safety of other websites.|
- This article is about a complete timeline of updates and events over the history of Scratch. For other uses, see History (disambiguation).
|Table of Contents|
This timeline covers all major events in Scratch history.
- 5 — The oldest project still available, Weekend, was uploaded.
- 6 — The Newest Projects row on the Front Page was removed due to inappropriate projects being displayed.
- 7 — Images donated by LEGO became available.
- 16 — Basic gallery features were implemented.
- 24 — The ability to flag comments as inappropriate was implemented.
- 7 — After reports of numerous bugs, Scratch 1.2.1 was released.
- 17 — The Scratch Website became available in multiple languages.
- 29 — The Ignore List, new gallery features, character count in comment box, and ability to reply to comments were implemented.
- 1 — The What the Community is Remixing row was added to the Front Page.
- 24 — Scratch 1.3.1 was released.
- 6 — The Scratch Wiki is created on Wikia.
- 12 — Signatures in the Scratch Forums were temporarily removed due to spammers using them to post inappropriate links.
- 16 — The second Scratch Day event was hosted.
- 31 — My Friends' Latest Projects and Projects from Scratch Design Studio rows were added to the Front Page.
- 31 — The Newest Projects row was put back, but only available to Scratchers when they were logged in.
- 31 — The Top Downloaded row was removed.
- 11 — Operation: Cleanup is completed.
- 21 — The official one millionth project was shared on the Scratch Website.
- 19 — The first Community Moderator elections were held.
- 21 — The election results were released.
- 3 — The Scratch Wiki was released on wiki.scratch.mit.edu.
- 10 — The Scratch Forums received spam attacks from a group of trolls. In response, the Scratch Team decided to disable images.
- 11 — The second Operation: Cleanup is launched on the TBGs.
- 13 — Images were re-enabled for those that were not New Scratchers.
- 6 — The second Operation: Cleanup on the TBG ends.
- 29 — The Pac-Man Project made by 124scratch was removed.
- 20 — The second Community moderator elections were held.
- 22 — The election results were released.
- 27 — The third Operation: Cleanup is started on the TBG forum.
- 11 — Archived forums are available from the jump to tool at the bottom of every page.
- 15 — The Newest Projects row on the Front Page displays a random selection of projects.
- 26 — Users banned on the Scratch Forums can no longer visit the Text Based Games Forums.
- 21 — The third Community Moderator elections were held.
- 22 — The election results were released.
- 1 — Collab Camp began.
- 27 — The official two millionth project was shared on the Scratch Website.
- 27-28 — The Scratch Website was temporarily set in read-only mode due to Hurricane Irene. The forums were temporarily shut down.
- 18 — The What the Community is Remixing, What the Community is Loving, and What the Community is Viewing rows show three randomly selected projects from the top 10.
- 26 — [img] (Image tags) are disabled on the Scratch Forums. They remained enabled in signatures during this time.
- 18 — Scratch protested SOPA and PIPA by featuring anti-SOPA projects, and putting up a banner saying "The Scratch Team values a free and open internet, so it opposes PIPA and SOPA".
- 26 — The Scratch Team reorganized the Scratch Forums, including renaming forums, and replacing Miscellaneous with two separate forums: Things I'm Making and Creating and Things I'm Reading and Playing forums.
- 27 — The Block Plugin was added to the Scratch Forums, which allows, in [scratchblocks] BBCode tags, scripts to be typed as they appear in Scratch, and they will parse.
- 2 — Links to YouTube videos on the forums are linked to a Scratch YouTube Video Player rather than the previously used Youtube Repeat website.
- 15 — Post counts on the forums are now shown in levels, instead of the exact post count. Users with below 100 posts have the exact count shown; otherwise it shows 100+, 500+, or 1000+. This does not apply to the Text Based Games Forums, as some games require users knowing their or others' exact post count(s).
- 3 — Demosthenes retires from Community Moderator position.
- 5 — Nominations for the Spring 2012 Community Moderator elections begin.
- 9 — The candidates for the Community Moderator elections are announced.
- 11 — Voting begins for the Community Moderator elections. The vote was open from 11AM to 11PM, Scratch Time.
- 12 — The results from the Community Moderator elections were announced. The winners were Lucario621, Scimonster, and sparks. They did not begin moderating until the 18th, however.
- 13 — Image tags re-enabled.
- 19 — Scratch Day 2012 at MIT.
- 30 — Scratch Forums search index rebuilt, in the hopes of fixing some issues with the search.
- 10 — Flash Player updated to release candidate status, and redone in Scratch 2.0 styling.
- 3(?) — Chrischb retires from TBG Moderator position.
- 18 — The Flash project player becomes the default.
- 23 — The official three millionth project was shared on the Scratch Website.
- 1 — The old TBG Forums shut down due to lack of activity on the forums. The new TBG forums are at https://tbgforums.com but these are made by Scratchers, not the Scratch Team. Controversy starts to develop on the removal.
- 6-8 — Both the Scratch 1.4 website and 2.0 beta website were shut down for the transition to Scratch 2.0.
- 9 — Scratch 2.0 was released to the public.
- 7 — The Community Moderator program ends, and they were replaced by the Scratch Mentors, with the first Mentors chosen being ErnieParke, LiFaytheGoblin, and P110.
- 27 — The official 4 millionth project was shared to the Scratch website.
- 1 — The ability to delete a scratch account was added.
- 9-15 — Scratch was featured in the Hour of Code.
- 10 — The search engine was changed to Google.
- 10 — Scratchers were given the ability to opt in/out of a beta project player.
- 15(?) — The official 5 millionth project was shared.
- 10 — Scratch 1.4 was added to Raspberry Pi, with an extension block for its GPIO pins.
- 16 — The official 6 millionth project was shared.
- 28 — Creative Characters Camp ends.
- 30 — ScratchJr is officially released to the public.
- 24 — Follower, following, and profile comment counts were removed from profiles.
- 15 — Spike in traffic due to Europe Code Week.
- 29 — Fixed Chrome keyboard lag bug, prevent invalid characters from erasing comments, fixed remix count on Top Remixed sometimes shows as on, project & Studio owners should no longer able to report their own stuff, add “Be Honest” to Community Guidelines, put grey box around sprite thumbnails to make “invisible sprites” visible.
- 12 — New sprites, backdrops, and sounds in editor, optimized graphics in editor, new "Pong" tutorial in editor, Add Scratch Press page to footer.
- 15 — The official 7 millionth project was shared.
- 17 — New sprites, backdrops, and sounds in editor.
- 6 — The five millionth account was created.
- 12 — Customizable Featured Project (Profile Page) labels were added.
- 12 — A new Valentine's themed tutorial and sprites were added. The tutorial can be found here.
- 9 — Scratch Day 2015.
- 14 — Scratch turned eight years old.
- 4 — The Scratch Website reached 10 million projects and a special Scratch Design Studio was created for this occasion. This studio can be found here.
- 12 — Start of Mix and Match Camp.
- 15 — An "About" Tab was added to the navigation bar.
- 15 — A project filter based on language was added to the "Explore" Tab.
- 26 — End of Mix and Match Camp.
- 8 — Front Page Curator Shifts were shortened from two weeks, to one week.
- 11 — The Picoboard and Lego WeDo extensions were updated.
- 15 — End of Scratch2015AMS Conference.
- 28 — "Race to Finish" tutorial was added.
- 5 — Hora do Codigo Brasil (The Brazilian Hour of Code) Begins.
- 9 — Europe Code Week Begins.
- 14 — The 11 millionth project was shared.
- 26 — The Scratch Team completely redesigned the Scratch Homepage.
- 7 — International Computer Science Education Week 2015 and the Hour of Code began. Scratch was featured in the event for its third year in a row.
- 13 — Computer Science Education Week 2015 ended.
- 21 — The Record Project Video feature was added to the Scratch Program.
- 29 — The Magic Wand Tool was added to the Paint Editor.
- 29 — The _candycorn_ emoji was added, in honor of departing Scratch Team member, RjLance.
- 1 — The Scratch Blog Series began.
- 2 — The Open Source Projects Forum was opened to the public.
- 23 — The Scratch website reached 10 million registered accounts. The _10mil_ emoji was added in celebration.
- 24 — First Wiki Wednesday
- 31 — The SDS Curators released their last SDS, which later turned out to be an April Fools joke.
- 1 — The Scratch Team released its April Fools joke that the Scratch Cat went on vacation. Scratchers had to create projects on where they think the Scratch Cat was. The Scratch Cat left clues on where they were on their profile page.
- 14 — Scratch turned 9 years old.
- 5 — International Computer Science Education Week 2017 began. Scratch was featured in the event.
- 11 — International Computer Science Education Week 2017 ended.
- 1 — The Scratch Wiki celebrated April Fool's Day by changing many pages' content to absurd joke pages. The original content could be found at the bottom of the page and this lasted for one day.
- 2 — Scratch started celebrating its 10th birthday.
- 6 — Scratch Day @ MIT.
- 9 — Anniversary of Scratch 2.0's release.
- 15 — Official 10th anniversary of Scratch's release.
- 5 — The "Discuss" button on the header of the Scratch Website was removed, in favour of the Tips Page. This caused much controversy in the forums.
- 18 — Scratch2017BDX began.
- 21 — Scratch2017BDX ended.
- 24 — First part of Scratch Camp: Down Deep began.
- 31 — Second part of Scratch Camp: Down Deep began.
- 7 — Third part of Scratch Camp: Down Deep began.
- 13 — Scratch Camp: Down Deep ended.
- 30 — The Scratch Team announced a new userscript policy, in which userscripts and browser extensions for Scratch could no longer be advertised.
- 4 — Computer Science Education Week began. Scratch was featured in the event.
- 10 — Computer Science Education Week ended.
- 24 — The Scratch Team posted an official YouTube video, where speakvisually plays projects by the Scratch Community in zero-gravity.
- 15 — It was announced that cloud data would only have 128 characters at most in Scratch 3.0. Hexadecimal numbers will be prohibited.
- 16 — The Scratch Wiki at
wiki.scratch.mit.eduwas transferred over to
- 22 — The amount of shared projects exceeded 30 million.
- 9 — Scratch reached its 300th front page curator.
- 21 — The "Recently Shared Projects" row on the Front Page was removed.
- 2 — Scratch 3.0 was released, and it was officially put on the main Scratch Website.
- 9 — The Scratch Team implemented new bug fixes, as users had been reporting numerous bugs after the release.
- 25 — Scratch in Practice (SiP) was created.
- 8 — The main site for Scratch in Practice was created.
- 18 — The Scratch Team implemented a new update, changing the "Load from your computer" action to replace the current project instead of creating a new one. This was based on user feedback.
- 19 — The Scratch Team posted an announcement about new bug fixes and updates.
- 11 — Scratch turned 12 years old.
- 1 — The Scratch Team updated the sound editor based on feedback from the community, and removed the echo effect.
- 11 — There was a disruption with emails where emails from the Scratch Team didn't send properly. It was fixed at 8am EST. Also, an orange/red (depending on the screen) banner[example needed] saying "We are experiencing a disruption with email delivery. If you are not receiving emails from us, please try after 8am EST." was added at the top of every page on the Scratch Website. When the disruption was fixed, the banner was removed.
- 13 — The Scratch Team changed the paint editor to make aligning to the center more precise.
- 14 — The Scratch Team added several Sprites to the sprite library. They were originally from the "Character Remix" studio featuring costumes made by Scratch Team members Zinnea, KayOh, dsquare, and pondermake. 
They included 2 character packs with multiple costumes and 7 individual sprites, Kia, Luca, Noor, Sasha, Tatina, Trisha, and Taylor.
- 13 — The Scratch website (scratch.mit.edu) cannot be accessed from China as the government has blocked it.
- tjolson. (7/3/2007). "I like the look of the new site" ar-topic:12
- Talk:Scratch Timeline#Date Scratch released
- d00dfayz. (26/5/2007). "Where is scratch 1.1 aviable for download?[title]" ar-topic:424
- andresmh. (6/8/2007). "Newest projects section removed from front page[title]" ar-topic:1234
- andresmh. (6/8/2007). "We have added a nice feature that automatically extracts the history of a project and adds a link to the project in which it is based on." ar-topic:1235
- andresmh. (7/8/2007). "New image library donated by LEGO[title]" ar-topic:1245
- andresmh. (8/8/2007). "Top downloaded section added to front page[title]" ar-topic:1249
- paulmedwal. (16/8/2007). "Typing Blocks in the Forums[title]" ar-topic:1340
- andresmh. (16/9/2007). "We have introduced a new gallery system" ar-topic:1647
- andresmh. (24/10/2007). "New feature: flag comments as inappropriate[title]" ar-topic:1991
- evhan55. (2/12/2007). "Now available for download: Scratch 1.2[title]" ar-topic:2355
- johnadmin. (7/12/2007). "Scratch 1.2.1 Released[title]" ar-topic:2439
- andresmh. (17/12/2007). "Multilanguage website[title]" ar-topic:2585
- andresmh. (29/4/2008). "Recent website changes[title]" ar-topic:5110
- mletreat. (5/8/2008). "Help Us Welcome new users[title]" ar-topic:8391
- andresmh. (2/9/2008). "Scratch 1.3 is now available for download.[title]" ar-topic:9432
- johnadmin. (24/11/2008). "Scratch 1.3.1 is now available[title]" ar-topic:11972
- andresmh. (1/12/2008). "Paddle2See and Jens joining as administrators of our website[title]" ar-topic:12176
- karenb. (23/11/2008). "Scratcher Meetup @ MIT[title]" ar-topic:11936
- andresmh. (12/12/2008). "It's very sad, but we are going to have to disable signatures on the forums" ar-topic:12492
- karenb. (22/2/2009). "Scratch Day - May 16, 2009[title]" ar-topic:14516
- Maki-Tak. (31/5/2009). "the surprise projects is gone" ar-post:128856
- technoguyx. (2/6/2009). "Top Downloaded was removed" ar-post:129685
- mres-admin. (2/7/2009). "Scratch 1.4 is now available![title]" ar-topic:18868
- Lightnin. (3/8/2009). "Cheddargirl is now a Scratch Forum Moderator[title]" ar-topic:20463
- scratch:tbgforums/viewtopic.php?id=1[dead link]
- scratch:tbgforums/viewtopic.php?id=523[dead link]
- scratch:tbgforums/viewtopic.php?pid=38764#p38764[dead link]
- andresmh. (2/5/2010). "This visualization shows the connections between remixers." ar-topic:35037
- WMH3com. (21/4/2010). "1,000,000th Project" projects:1000000
- RitaC. (23/4/2010). "We've recently launched http://stats.scratch.mit.edu to display statistics about the Scratch community as a whole." ar-topic:34453
- Lightnin. (19/5/2010). "Vote in the Scratch Community Moderator election[title]" ar-topic:36100
- Lightnin. (21/5/2010). "Scratch Community Moderator election results![title]" ar-topic:36214
- andresmh. (3/6/2010). "After constant work, and much dedication by some members of the community, the Scratch Wiki has been released!" ar-topic:37179
- Lightnin. (10/6/2010). "Because of spam / troll attacks, we've been forced to disable the embedding of images in forum posts for now." ar-topic:37679
- scratch:tbgforums/viewtopic.php?id=1056[dead link]
- samurai768. (12/6/2010). "If you are new on the forums/website, instead of "Member" for your title, it turns to "New Scratcher"?" ar-post:417686
- Lightnin. (13/4/2012). "Images activated on forums[title]" ar-topic:94746
- scratch:tbgforums/viewtopic.php?pid=99718#p99718[dead link]
- JSO. (17/7/2010). "Scratch Resources is released![title]" ar-topic:40740
- ricarose. (11/8/2010). "The Experimental Viewer is now available that allows you to explore and play with all parts of a Scratch project directly in your web browser." ar-topic:43223
- paulmedwaladmin. (20/10/2010). "Clutter: Connect Scratch Projects[title]" ar-topic:48309
- Lightnin. (19/10/2010). "Fall 2010 Community Moderator Elections: Candidates[title]" ar-topic:48260
- Lightnin. (22/10/2010). "Fall 2010 Community Moderator Elections: Results[title]" ar-topic:48449
- scratch:tbgforums/viewtopic.php?id=2653[dead link]
- Lightnin. (10/11/2010). "Some mods and Scratch Team felt the forums have gotten a bit cluttered, so we thought we'd try making the archives invisible for a bit and see how things go." ar-topic:49826
- Lightnin. (16/11/2010). "Archived forums are now visible via the "Jump To" menu.[title]" ar-topic:50366
- Lightnin. (15/11/2010). "Each new project shared gets a chance to be in Newest projects![title]" ar-topic:50277
- andresmh. (22/2/2011). "Beta Flash player[title]" ar-topic:57148
- scratch:tbgforums/viewtopic.php?id=4647[dead link]
- Lightnin. (19/7/2011). "Summer 2011 Scratch Community Moderator Elections: Candidates[title]" ar-topic:69166
- Lightnin. (22/7/2011). "Summer 2011 Scratch Community Moderator Elections: Results[title]" ar-topic:69414
- andresmh. (27/8/2011). "We have decided to disable any kind of posting comments and projects in preparation of Hurricane Irene." ar-topic:73075
- Lightnin. (28/8/2011). "It's all clear everyone" ar-post:895412
- Lightnin. (18/11/2011). "As suggested by smcb1, the "What the community is..." rows on the homepage now show 3 randomly selected projects from the top 10 each time you load the page." ar-topic:81056
- Paddle2See. (29/12/2011). "Image tags disabled[title]" ar-topic:85101
- Lightnin. (16/1/2012). "We're going to put up our announcement banner, and fill the featured row with Anti-sopa projects." ar-post:1096071
- Lightnin. (23/1/2012). "Updates to the Scratch Forums coming 1/26/12[title]" ar-topic:87482
- JSO. (27/1/2012). "New Scratch Forum Blocks[title]" ar-topic:88009
- JSO. (2/2/2012). "Youtube links on the forums[title]" ar-topic:88601
- Lightnin. (15/2/2012). "Forum post counts now shown in levels[title]" ar-topic:89834
- Lightnin. (3/4/2012). "Demosthenes is retiring from the role of community moderator[title]" ar-topic:93879
- Lightnin. (5/4/2012). "Spring 2012 Scratch CM Elections: Nominees[title]" ar-topic:94054
- Lightnin. (9/4/2012). "Spring 2012 CM Elections: Candidates[title]" ar-topic:94424
- Paddle2See. (11/4/2012). "Spring 2012 CM Elections: Voting[title]" ar-topic:94547
- Lightnin. (12/4/2012). "Spring 2012 CM Elections: Results[title]" ar-topic:94628
- karenb. (8/5/2012). "Celebrate Scratch Day! Try out the Scratch 2.0 prototype![title]" ar-topic:96535
- cheddargirl. (14/4/2012). "The next Scratch Day at MIT is coming up soon on May 19, 2012." ar-topic:94825
- Lightnin. (24/8/2012). "We've recently activated the Scratch Welcoming Committee!" ar-topic:104699
- Paddle2See. (29/8/2012). "The forums will be unavailable for a (hopefully) brief period of time starting today at 5:00 AM Scratch Time while we rebuild the forum search index." ar-topic:105112
- Lightnin. (10/9/2012). "New flash project player released![title]" ar-topic:105897
- Lightnin. (18/10/2012). "Flash project player is now the default![title]" ar-topic:108058
- projects:3000000[dead link]
- Lightnin. (28/1/2013). "The Scratch 2.0 Beta is now open for testing!" ar-topic:113710
- scratch:tbgforums/viewtopic.php?id=8601[dead link]
- scratch. (6/5/2013). "We just shutdown https://beta.scratch.mit.edu in preparation for the Scratch 2.0 launch." https://twitter.com/scratchteam/status/331257963031441408
- scratch. (6/5/2013). "scratch.mit.edu is now down for transition to Scratch 2.0." https://twitter.com/scratchteam/status/331406370857439232
- scratch:news#107343705923[dead link]
- speakvisually. (1/12/16). "Scratch will be featured as part of Computer Science Education Week (csedweek.org), an initiative to encourage students and teachers to try coding for the first time." (https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/228430/)
- dietbacon. (5/7/17). 'We replaced the "Help" button with a "Tips" button, which will lead you to the new Tips page.' topic:269283
- ceebee. (24/7/17). "Your creation can be anything you might find in the ocean - real or made up! This year, camp will take place in three different parts and go from today, July 24th, until August 13th!" topic:271283
- ceebee. (30/11/17). "We’ve decided that, for safety reasons, we are no longer going to allow these to be advertised on Scratch." topic:284272
- ceebee. (1/12/17). "Scratch will be featured as part of Computer Science Education Week (csedweek.org), an initiative to encourage students and teachers to try coding for the first time." topic:284408
- speakvisually. (24/1/18). "We selected a handful of these projects to be played on special zero gravity flight, which mimics the weightlessness of space." topic:289836
- thisandagain. (15/2/18). "We have added a 128 character limit and we are now restricting cloud variables to be numbers only." post:2993545
- makethebrainhappy. (16/2/18). "As of Feb. 16th, 2018 the Scratch Wiki will officially be moving to en.scratch-wiki.info from its traditional home on the main servers." topic:292170
- Curator (front page)/List of Curators
- thisandagain. (21/4/2018). "We would like to remove the recently shared projects row from the homepage." https://github.com/LLK/scratch-www/issues/1860
- ceebee. (03/05/2018). "Hi folks! We've also started a section in the forums for you to discuss Scratch Day events." You can check it out here: topic:300131
- ceebee. (2/1/2019). "Hi folks! It’s here! We are excited to let you know that Scratch 3.0 has launched!" topic:326861
- ceebee. (9/1/2019). "Since launching Scratch 3.0 last week, we’ve already fixed a few things!" topic:331439
- ceebee. (18/4/2019). "One thing we have heard a lot of feedback on is the “Load from your computer” option in the project editor." topic:348127
- ceebee. (19/4/2019). "We are still working on many features and some remaining bugs, but here are some notes about the progress we have made!" topic:348127
- ScratchCat. (07/08/19). "We’re excited to announce the theme for Scratch Camp 2019: Story Swap." topic:357286
- ceebee. (1/8/2019). "One thing we heard a lot of feedback on has been the Scratch sound editor and today we are excited to share an updated version!" topic:365737
- ceebee. (13/2/2020). "You can now align your artwork to the canvas center more precisely." topic:386021