(Redirected from 1.4 beta)
|This article or section documents something not included in the current version of Scratch (3.0). It is only useful from a historical perspective.|
|Variants||1.4, 1.4 beta|
|Release Date|| 1.4 beta — 5/19/2009|
1.4 — 7/2/2009
|Download|| Official installers:|
|« 1.3||2.0 »|
Scratch 1.4 had the most new features of any 1.x release.
- LEGO WeDo motors can be controlled with the Motor blocks
- Sensing: Asking and answering was added; the palette was reordered; a reporter can be dropped into any sprite dropdown input; a line was added between Loud? and () Sensor Value
- Operators: New string blocks (Join () (), Letter () of (), and Length of ()) were added, and so the name was changed from "Numbers"; () < (), () = (), and () > () accept strings
- Lists: () Contains () was added
- One only needs to click blocks once to run them
The user interface was significantly changed in Scratch 1.4. Changes included:
- The green flag and stop sign were redrawn smaller, and were put in a different position
- Mouse-pointer readout moved onto one line
- The buttons for making sprites were moved and labelled
- Small stage mode was added, and the buttons to switch between regular, small stage, and presentation mode were moved to the top right
- All the buttons in the toolbar were replaced with menus: File, Edit, Share, and Help. Icons were added for selecting a language and saving and sharing projects.
- In the beta, Mesh could be accessed by shift-clicking the Share menu (see Mesh#Modifying Scratch for how to get it in the release)
- A feature was added allowing users to create costumes using a camera
- Grips removed from the scrollbars
- The logo was redrawn
- Main article: Paint Editor (1.4)
- Only one type of color picker was shown at a time
- An icon of the other color picker was shown on the right; clicking would switch
- Tools were on top-left
- "Clear" button was next to "import"
- Rotation center and zoom buttons moved beneath color picker. Rotation center was center-aligned; the zoom tool was right-aligned
A beta version of Scratch 1.4 was shown at Scratch Day 2009. It featured Mesh and some UI differences. These included:
- Menus had a square next to the top item
- The "beta" tag from 1.2 beta was put back.
- In the paint editor:
- Standard color-picker had only 3 shades
- Full color-picker took up entire area (clicking a color went back to standard picker)
- The zoom tool was centered
In 2012, versions 126.96.36.199-188.8.131.52 were released. These are the Linux version of 1.4, for distributions that support Debian installers (Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc.) as well as RPM-based ones (Fedora, Red Hat, etc.) Each version features only incremental bug fixes. They are not available on Windows or Mac OS X.
The redrawn Scratch Logo