See Inside is a button which allows Scratchers to view the code of a project without having to go through the effort of downloading it. It also allows users to edit projects and then remix them if they are not the original creator.
When the "See Inside" button is clicked, the project's editor will open. If the project is edited and exited without saving, nothing in the project will change. However, if the project is saved, the remix will be saved as a separate project.
With the ability to see the project editor through the "See Inside" button, users can do things like:
- See how a project works.
- Make changes to the project to see different effects.
- Remix the project.
- Download or add part of the project to their backpack.
- Read any project comments the project's creator might have left.
When the project editor is shown, this button becomes "See Project Page", and will take the user back to the project viewing page. In the Scratch 3.0 Beta, this button said "See Community" instead.
|Note:||When the ‘See inside’ button is clicked by a user who did not make the project, the user who clicked the button can no longer change the cloud variables until they reload the page. This is to prevent hacking in multiplayer games.|
Some users feel that there should be an option to make a project "unremixable" by removing the "See Inside" button. Users might feel this way for a variety of reasons, such as:
- They put in a lot of effort and do not want people to 'steal it'.
- They do not want users to be able to see how they did something.
- They do not want users to be able to 'cheat' a game by manipulating the code.
- Teachers might want to teach their students something and do not want them looking at the source code to solve a problem.
However, this suggestion has been rejected by the Scratch Team as they do not want to remove the creative learning feature from other projects. Stopping remixes does not comply with the motto of Scratch — Imagine, Program, Share. In addition, it goes against Scratch's Creative Commons License.