|This page has links to websites or programs not trusted by Scratch or hosted by Wikipedia. Remember to stay safe while using the Internet, as we can't guarantee the safety of other websites.|
|Release Date|| (beta) August 1, 2018|
(official) January 2, 2019
The public alpha release was released at https://preview.scratch.mit.edu in January 2018. The beta version was released at https://beta.scratch.mit.edu/ on the 1st of August, and the official version will be available on January 2nd, 2019. The offline editor will be also available. The name "Scratch 3.0" was first implied by Scratch Team member Andrew Sliwinski (thisandagain) in May 2016, following the trend. It was later confirmed by the preview FAQ in January 2018. No blocks will be removed.
The following is a partial list of new features that Scratch 3.0 may contain:
- Mobile device support via an HTML5 based editor. Phones will be able to play but will not be able create projects at the August launch. Tablets will be able to play and create projects at launch.
set pen [color v] to () :: penand
change pen [color v] by () :: penblocks. The drop-down menu options are Color, Saturation, Brightness, and Transparency. These will replace the current blocks for the corresponding values.
- When a project is created, there will already be a variable simply called
- Change Effect () by () (Sound block) which change how a sound sounds.
< contains ? :: operators>block that reports whether the first string contains the second.
(item # of [string] in [list v] ::list)block that reports the item number of the first match of the string, or 0 if no such value is found.
- Several extra options for the “touching ()?” boolean, including “any edge”, “mouse-position”, and “left edge”.
glide () secs to [ v] :: motionblock that acts like
glide () secs to x: () y: ()with a dropdown that includes mouse-pointer and sprites..
- Pen Blocks and MIDI sound blocks are extensions, and not shown by default. This is meant to prevent confusion for New Scratchers, but it often confuses many existing Scratchers.
- A thinner Helvetica font in the paint editor.
set drag mode [draggable v] ::sensingblock.
go to [front v] ::looksand
go [forward v] (1) layers ::looksblocks instead of
go to frontand
go back (1) layers.
(costume [number v] ::looks)and
(backdrop [number v] :: looks)blocks, which also include "name" in the dropdown, instead of
- The Video Sensing blocks will become an extension. There will also be at least 5 new extensions including Lego Boost, Speech, Translate, Micro:BIT and Scratch Bit.
- Internet Explorer will not be a supported browser.
- PicoBoard and LEGO WeDo 1.0 will not be supported.
- The addition of a pause button.
- A Google Translate extension.
clearwill be renamed to
erase all ::pen.
A design chart for the Move () steps block.
The comment for blocks.
- Editing Audio.png
Editing Audio in 3.0.
The Scratch 3.0 Beta's sprite library.
- "Editor" The "wrapper" for all of the various pieces of Scratch 3.0.
- The blocks interface
- Virtual machine (the thing that makes a Scratch program run / work / execute)
- Rendering engine
- Audio engine
- The less stable, yet more updated editor
- The Scratch 3.0 FAQ
- thisandagain. (18/5/2016). "No name has been decided, but most likely it will simply be called 'Scratch 3.0'." https://scratch.mit.edu/users/thisandagain/#comments-23456121
- ErnieParke. (23/12/2016). https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/232115/
- "Internet Explorer will NOT be supported." https://scratch.mit.edu/preview-faq#Compatibility
- mres. (19/5/2016). "Scratch Blocks will be suitable for a broad range of devices (from mobile phones to desktops)." https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/199904/
- https://scratch.mit.edu/preview-faq "Scratch 3.0 will work on desktop, laptop, and tablet devices (iOS and Android). In addition projects will be able to be played on mobile phones. Mobile phone project creation support is in progress but will not be available in August."
- thisandagain. (16/2/2017). "Decision from design discussion:
change pen transparency by  :: pen
set pen transparency to  :: pen" https://github.com/LLK/scratch-vm/issues/412#issuecomment-280118002
- thisandagain. (10/8/2017). 'Implement "[string] contains [string]" reporter.[title]' https://github.com/LLK/scratch-gui/issues/601
- thisandagain. (10/8/2017). ‘Implement “item # of [string] in [dropdown]”.[title]’ https://github.com/LLK/scratch-gui/issues/600
- thisandagain. (10/8/2017). ‘Update “touching [drop down]?” reporter.[title]’ https://github.com/LLK/scratch-gui/issues/599
- thisandagain. (10/8/2017). ‘Implement “glide [number] secs to [drop down]”.[title]’ https://github.com/LLK/scratch-gui/issues/598
- ericrosenbaum. (3/10/2017). "We are moving the pen blocks to an extension." https://github.com/LLK/scratch-vm/issues/736
Development • Scratch 3.0